Daniel,

     My Doyle book is at home (I know, I should carry it with me at all
times), but...I think the answer /23 is correct.  If you consider your
chart below, the first 7 bits (0001 000) are the same, not just the first
4.  Add those 7 to the previous 16 bits from the first two octets and you
get 23 bits in the mask.  Remember that the summarization is based on the
number of matching bits in the different addresses - those bits can be
either 1s or 0s.

    192.168.16.0/24    .0001 0000
    192.168.17.0/24    .0001 0001
                        ^^^^ ^^^

Matthew C. Sypherd
CCNP+Security CCDP CCSE MCSE CCIE-R/S-Written

"Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com
11/05/2000 12:18 PM

Please respond to "Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]