At 03:19 PM 11/5/00, Gareth Hinton wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I realise that this kit is fairly recent (Arrowpoint re-badge). Does anybody
>have any experience of using these load balancing boxes as an Authorative
>DNS?
>
>The idea is that the NS record points to this box. The box then load
>balances by handing back the relevant IP address as the A record with a TTL
>of zero.
>
>I've heard that there may be problems with some browsers which may cache the
>DNS response no matter what the TTL is set to, so even if the relevant site
>dies, the browser will continue to try it.

Browsers cache Web pages on the user's local machine. The browser wouldn't
cache the DNS response, but the TCP/IP stack on the user's machine could
cache the response. I think you are right that some implementations cache
the DNS response even if the TTL is zero. Caching happens at many different
levels and can cause problems for load balancing and redundancy schemes.

Priscilla