>If I understand correctly, both networks on the same router..different
>subinterfaces.  If Im thinking about this correctly, the metric in the
>routing table will be 0 because they are both directly connected networks.
>
>Thoughts from anyone else?
>
>-jm
>
>""Jeff Walzer"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>005501c047ff$1f8a3e00$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:005501c047ff$1f8a3e00$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  Our internal network has 10 subnets that can be utilitized (10.10.1.x -
>>  10.10.10.x). The router IP address is 10.10.1.1.
>>
>>  When I create a subinterface for 10.10.2.1 what is the metric for the
>>  10.10.2.x subnet to get to the 10.10.1.x subnet?
>>
>>  Being that it is the same router will it be 1 or does each subinterface
>>  increment the metric by 1 thereby making the metric 2 for each
>subinterface?
>  >

I'm unclear what you both mean when you speak of metrics.  No type of
interface or subinterface inherently has a metric until you define a
routing mechanism with respect to that interface -- and that
mechanism defines the metric.

So OSPF and EIGRP, in practice, use bandwidth as a metric.  RIP uses
hop count, which may be what you are thinking of.

The zero value for a directly connected network is the administrative
distance, which is different from a metric.  Administrative distances
rank preferences among sources of routing information, lower values
being more preferable. For example, an OSPF route with an
administrative distance of 110 will never be preferred to a directly
connected route.  A RIP route (to the same destination) will never be
preferred to an OSPF route.

(note...I'm assuming here that you use the standard route selection
algorithms without overriding anything)

Metric is used as a tie-breaker between routes of the same
administrative difference.

Prefix length is considered before administrative distance.  A route
of 192.168.0.0/28 from RIP is preferable to any OSPF route to
192.168.0.0/24.