Yeah you got an expensive cable modem. The 924 does have an IP address but it is probably a private space one (10.x.x.x). The only reason the CM gets a IP address is so that it can perform TFTP, TOD, and SYSLOG functions. Then you are right it is set up to perform bridging functions. The DOCSIS standard says that config parameters must be delivered to the CM by TFTP. The ios.cnf is a TFTP file that is overwriting your config. Probably the minute you break into the router you get bounced off the DOCSIS network. We are waiting for DOCSIS v1.1 to do voice. Reason being 1.0 doesn't do QOS. DOCSIS 1.1 will do QOS, this coupled with Packet Cable will allow VoIP using an HFC plant. We have got dial-tone in our engineering lab and are going to market sometime in first quarter 2001.
DUCK