On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Jon wrote:

> I have a 3810, it is NOT cheap.  The 2600 series is modular, so more useful

3810's go on ebay for ~$1500.  In fact, the highest one has gone for yet
in the past 30 days is about $1576.

> in the long run.  The 2600 requires both a voice processor card ($750-1200,
> 1 or 2 VIC support) and the personality card (VIC - $300 new) to do voice.
>
> The least expensive way to go is get a 1750.  The 1750 uses the same
> personality (VIC = FXS, E&M, FXO) cards as the 2600 and you do not need the
> extra (expensive) voice processor card like the 2600.  You can get a new
> 1750 for about $1600, add $300 for a FXS and you are ready to go, with VPN
> to boot!  Used, you can find one for about $1000.00 with voice, or buy a
> used 1750 alone for $500-$800 and spend $300 for the new voice card (VIC).
> The VICs have 2 ports per card.  The 1750 has 3 card slots, 1 is dedicated
> to VIC use. the other 2 can be other WAN cards or VICs.

the 26xx can run Enterprise IOS, while a 1750 can just do like ip/ipx/at
and a few other things.

> You may be able to get a used 2600 with voice for $1500.00 (Usually a FXO,
> the FXS is better for home use since you can plug a regular phone directly
> into it) .  The 3810 is even more expensive.

Thats what I am thinking fxo/fxs.  I can't really agree with you though
that a 3810 is "expensive"........one closed today on ebay for $1126 and
had a nice assortment of fxs/fxo ports to boot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=487396267&ed=973628747

these aren't rare on ebay or the secondary market either.......like I said
$1500 looks like it can get something decent.

> Also remember, You need access to 2 voice routers to make it useful.

nod, thats why I was thinking 2620/2610.  the 2620 will get you fast
ethernet as well.  I am not sure if the fastethernet on the 1750 is
actually ISL/dot1q capible or not.

Brian