Did you try the Cisco AppleTalk Configuration guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/atipx_c/2cdapple.htm

Also, see my white paper on AppleTalk at www.certificationzone.com.

Apple and various third parties (including Cisco) started shipping
AppleTalk Phase 2-compatible products in 1989. You shouldn't have to know
anything about AppleTalk Phase 1 anymore, but here are a few comments anyway.

The main enhancement that Apple added in Phase 2 is support for more than
254 nodes per network. Because of interoperability concerns, it was deemed
impractical to change the size of the 16-bit network number field. So, with
Phase 2, Apple supports extended networks. On an extended network, the
administrator can assign a range of network numbers to a physical network.
Cisco calls the range the "cable range."

For example, you can assign the cable range 10-12 to a single physical
network. That network can then support 3 * 253 nodes. AppleTalk Phase 2
disallows node numbers 0, 254, and 255:

0 means a router on the network
254 is reserved for future use (it was allowed in Phase 1)
255 means all nodes (broadcast)

With Phase 2, Apple also started supporting multiple zones per network.
Neither the multiple-zones per-network or the non-unary cable range feature
really caught on. About the time Apple started supporting larger networks,
people started getting concerned about broadcast traffic, and the migration
to IP began. By the way, in AppleTalk terminology, "network" means a set of
nodes connected via cables (or wireless technologies), hubs, switches, or
bridges. An AppleTalk network is bounded by a router, must like an IP
subnet. All nodes in an AppleTalk network are in the same broadcast domain.
So having more than 254 nodes isn't really a good thing, anyway.

Phase 2 does have a couple other features:

They started using 802.3/802.2/SNAP packets on Ethernet instead of Ethernet
Version 2.

They added support for the Best Router Forwarding Algorithm which causes
end stations to be smarter about which router they pick.

And there were a few other features that are totally irrelevant and don't
come to mind anymore. &;-)

Priscilla