From: Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: jeongwoo park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Groupstudy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: After supernetting!!

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, jeongwoo park wrote:

> Hi all
> Let's say there are 5 subnets (Class B/16 subnet mask)
> consisting of approximately 500 DHCP clients and 20
> servers.
> Someone as a Network Expert suggested flattening the
> network. As a Network newbie, I simply followed the
> instruction from the book on how to supernet, and
> finally summarized those 5 contiguous subnets into
> following address: 123.80.0.0/14 (**this is a made-up
> number) Now I am done with supernetting. What is the
> next to be done?
> What should I do with this ip address?
> Should I go to physically to these 520 stations one by
> one for new tcp/ip setup? I think there should be
> better way than this.

Supernetting, summarizing, whatever you want to call it, at aggregation
points within your network is a great idea, so yes I agree that somewhere
in your network you should try to aggregate routes as much as possible.

Flattening a /14 worth of space and giving users a 255.252.0.0 netmask on
their desktops sounds more like "Super-kludging" than "supernetting" :)

Why would you have 520 stations consuming a /14 worth of space anyways?

Brian