From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of David
Armstrong
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 8:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Some OSPF Questions

Last night at our BSCN study group meeting in Dallas we had some questions
about OSPF that we weren't able to resolve. If someone or ones could answer
these it would clarify some areas we're a little fuzzy on. Also, if you're
iin the Dallas Ft. Worth area and would like to attend, we'd love to have
you join us..

Thanks for any help,

David Armstrong

1) What is the default time period that the BDR waits when listening to
LSA's from the DR before it decides that the DR is down and promotes itself
to DR. All the literature we could find simply said that the BDR waits for
the specified time period but never said what that period is.

2) In a Point-to-Point network in which the router in Area 0 is connected to
FR, ISDN, X.25 or ATM branch offices (networks), how does convergence and
updates take place? From what we've found a DR and BDR is not elected in a
strictly Point-to-Point network.

I think an example would explain this question better: We  have one 3620
router in our Ft. Worth office connected to an office in Houston (via FR),
and office in Kansas City (via FR), an office in the DFW area (via ISDN) and
the owner's home (via ISDN). The 3620 is behind a firewall (Pix 520) and the
firewall is connected to a 1720 going to the Internet. I'd like to implement
OSPF on our network simply for the experience. However, I don't have 2
routers internally on our Ethernet LAN that can be configured for Area 0 and
elected to DR and BDR. All other routers connected to that router are via
NBMA Point-to-Point connections. Since I only have one router on the
Broadcast Multiaccess network (the 3620) and routers connected via PtoP
don't participate in DR and BDR elections, how would updates occur? Can
their only be one DR (in this case the 3620)?

3) The books and tutorials all state that "router ospf 6" defines ospf on
the router with a process ID of 6. They then all say that you shouldn't
define more than one process. Does that mean that you can have a router with
the following:

router ospf 6
  network 10.100.0.0 0.0.255.255

router ospf 7
 network 10.200.0.0 0.0.255.255

If this is an allowed configuration, what kind of instances would it be used
for? Also, exactly what is the process ID used for?