You guys must be integrators!  She has a 5500 already, which although somewhat dated,
should be able to provide enough horsepower to route to 600 users in 5 or 6 subnets
surely.

I highly expect her issue is not lack of hardware related.  I expect there is a
misconfiguration or faulty cabling at some point along the line.  Really, this type of
troubleshooting is hard to do offline however :)