When conducting ping tests from one of our remote routers, I get anywhere
from 5-13% packet loss when using the default ping payload, yet when I
change the payload to anything else--such as all ones, all zeroes,
alternating ones and zeroes--I get no packet loss whatsoever.

This holds true regardless of packet size.  However, when using the default
data pattern, larger packets get dropped more often than smaller packets.
We are seeing zero input or output errors on this interface.

This seems VERY strange to me, but I think I'll get closer to an answer when
I find out what the default pattern is.

Do any of you know what that is?

TIA,
John Neiberger