From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 4:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: backup interface on ospf router

Well, yes, you can run backup interfaces with OSPF.  However, because OSPF
doesn't do unequal-cost load balancing, you have a problem.

If you set the bandwidth on each interface to be the real bandwidth (and
don't
fiddle with the OSPF costs directly), then your backup link S3 will be
activated
by the load, but OSPF will not send any traffic down it because S3 will have
higher cost than S1.

Your other option is to 'fudge' the OSPF costs, either by setting the
bandwidth
on the two links the same or by using the 'ip ospf cost' command.  However
if
you do this, OSPF will send equal amounts of traffic down each link (give or
take a bit depending on whether you're doing per-destination or per-packet
balancing).  This is likely to actually REDUCE your throughput, because S3
will
be flooded while S1 will be just ticking over at 128Kbps instead of 512Kbps
(been a while since I've seen this in practice but from memory S1 in this
situation will NOT run at 512 Kbps).

I think you'd need to run EIGRP to be able to do this effectively with
different-speed links.  Any other thoughts, anyone?

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 16/11/2000
11:33 am

"ZAPP, JULIAN F (PB)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 16/11/2000 09:31:15 am

Please respond to "ZAPP, JULIAN F (PB)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>