A metric is the criteria used to calculate the best route to a destination. Each routing protocol uses different metrics (or a different way of calcualting those metrics) to inject that route into the routing table of the device. For example, RIP will use hop count as one of it's metrics, where BGP will use AS Path as one of it's metrics.. Each routing protocol is different so it will calculate what it thinks to be the best path to a destination differently... Check out www.cisco.com technical docs for more detailed info on how each routing protocol works..

Hope that helps
Russ..
Hi group....
I have a simple question about metric regarding to the routing protocol especially ospf and bgp ??
What does the metric use for ??? what we use metric ??
What is/are the difference(s) is we use metric 2 or 10, for instance ???
Thanks