From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Jennifer Cribbs
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 3:52 PM
To: Rossetti, Stan; cisco
Subject: RE: !H not a complete answer found it, but confused........help
chuck!!

First of all, this is very confusing.  I have in front of me right now two
very different resouces regarding !A and !H.  The first is the one I sent
and
what I learned in school and is the correct answer on exams that I have
taken.
 That was the ref I sent to 'intro to cisco router configuration' that i
sent
earlier from pages 230, chapter 9, where it states !H means blocked acces to
host due to access list.

Now, the rest i this is a printing of what i got from cisco command ref
on-line and it says exactly what you told me, which was the !A meant a
problem
with an access list that was adminstratively unreachable.

What is really strange about this, it that these two conflicting statements,
one saying !H is a reject due to access lists and the other !A means
rejected
due to access lists are both ciso ref's.  My book is cisco press.  So what's
up with that????

Did someone goof and maybe a type-o, or are they both correct?

As I sit and comptemplate this, the reading in the cisco book, says
!H is sent when the PROBE IS RECEIVED but blocked due to an access list.

and on line-
!A is sent when administratively unreachable due to an access list.
!H is sent when host is unreachable.

Are these two things the same and one, which I doubt, and if that is the
case,
what is the differences between the two.

I would really like to know and need some imput.  Chuck........????

The rest of this I did not write: I copied it from on-line under cisco
command
ref troubleshooting commands under traceroute.
=========================

Table 118: IP Trace Text Characters  Char  Description
nn msec
 For each node, the round-trip time in milliseconds for the specified number
of probes.

*
 The probe timed out.

?
 Unknown packet type.

 Administratively unreachable. Usually, this output indicates that an access
list is blocking traffic.

 Host unreachable.

 Network unreachable.

 Protocol unreachable.