Ms Oppenheimer,

That is a vast amt of great info and is precisely what I needed to read
regarding this subject.  It actually explains it all.  And puts it in
prespective, including Cisco books and their info of which I have learned a
little of today.  I am not saying that I feel Cisco is bad after reading the
below, but I can see that I need to expand my resources of reading to get a
better overall understanding instead of a one-sided view.

Thanks again,
Jennifer Cribbs
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>===== Original Message From Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>Beware of learning the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) just from
>Cisco sites. ICMP is specified by the IETF, not Cisco. It's used by all IP
>devices, not just Cisco devices. Cisco describes it in variously strange
>ways that cannot be trusted. Learn it from the actual specification, which
>is RFC 792. Here's the possible values for the code field that accompanies
>a Destination Unreachable ICMP message, according to RFC 792:
>
>0 Network unreachable
>1 Host unreachable
>2 Protocol unreachable
>3 Port unreachable
>4 Fragmentation needed and don't-fragment (DF) bit set
>5 Source route failed
>
>It's important to be able to distinguish the difference between not having
>a route to a network, which could happen anywhere along the path, and not
>being able to forward the packet to the final destination, which only
>happens at the last hop. Not having a route would result in a Network
>Unreachable which Cisco displays as N. When the last-hop router can't
>forward the packet to the end node, the code is Host Unreachable, which
>Cisco displays as H.
>
>Generally what has happened when you see an H is that the final router sent
>an ARP to try to forward the packet, didn't get a response, and sent back
>to the source an ICMP Destination Unreachable, code = Host Unreachable.
>Other situations can result in H, but this is the usual case.
>
>Updated ICMP codes are listed in RFC 1700, the Assigned Numbers RFC. RFC
>1700 adds some new codes that allow a router to be more specific in
>describing the routing or forwarding problem. Administratively Prohibited
>codes (which Cisco displays as A) are in this NEW list. That's why there's
>some argument about it. Older implementations of ICMP don't use the A
>codes. Administrative (i.e. security or access list) blocks could happen
>anywhere in the path or at the end node. So you could see A instead of N or
H.