Hi,
  Does anyone have a link for a definitive comparison
between cnnection oriented versus connectionless WAN
Protocols ?

e.g SDLC, HDLC, HDLC (Cisco), LAPB, PPP.

I realise that SDLC, HDLC, LAPB, PPP are all in effect
the same frame format and I´m thinking they should all
be connectionless allowing higher level protocols like
TCP to provide the reliability.

I have some confusion though with the similarity with
IEEE 802.2, i.e I´ve read that PPP contains a control
field of 03 making it connectionless.

However, if an application used 02 in the control
field it could presumably be connection orientated.
i.e it has the ability to support both.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Phil.