no ....remember that this is a conseptual model.....toy can have all three
layers in one device ...a 5509 switch with an 48port10/100 (access layer) an
RSM (a 2600 in disguise ...which can handle distribution layer functions)
and an ATM card (which is core) all in the same device...it`s just easyier
to design a network when we use this model.

REMBER that in order to handel dist layer you have to ROUTE...that means
4000-6000 (RSM)your 2900 dosent have the functionality

HTH steve.....CCNA/DA/CCSI/CCNP