Cisco licenses IRE's VPN client software.  I believe they come in 100 user
licenses for ~$200.  It works great for Win98 (I have two dozen VPN
configurations set up for different customers), but Cisco still doesn't have
a client available for Windows 2000.  IRE has a Win2k client, but for
whatever reason Cisco hasn't gotten off their duff and OEM'd it.  The other
option would be to use Win2k's L2TP to a PIX (bleh).

The only complain I have at all about the Cisco/IRE VPN Client is that it
installs shims in place of your network drivers (I'm sure any VPN client has
to do this), but if you tweak with your drivers, you need to uninstall and
reinstall the client.  Not a problem though, it just takes two reboots (you
just answer "no" to removing the VPN configurations).  Again, not really an
issue with users that don't have things change that much, but I'm constantly
fiddling with things.

Also, don't even attempt to use that software with the cheap ADSL PPPoE
EnterNet300 software.  It'll work, but for unexplained reasons once or two a
week it'll just break.  I have a customer that was deploying it for this,
and we ended up just going to cable modems (faster, cheaper, and it just
doesn't go down unlike SBC/PBI's ADSL).  Anyway, the solution again was not
just uninstall the VPN client, but the EnterNet300 software (2 reboots), the
reinstall the EnterNet300 software, and finally the VPN client (4 reboots
total).  Also, abosolutely forbid users from installing ANY ISP software.  I
had this same user install both AOL and CompuServe within two days of each
other, hosing her Internet/VPN connect each time.  Grr, I hate end users,
heh.

Oh, one other solution to have the ADSL PPPoE stuff work:  Linksys 1 port
router.  It supports PPPoE logins, so you don't have to install the software
on your PC, and the line just appears "always on."  Unfortunately, if you're
rolling it out to a bunch of users, $100 extra per user adds up fast.
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10249719&loc=101

I haven't personally worked with the Checkpoint VPN software, but I've heard
from two customers that support issues are a pain and it breaks from time to
time for now reason (probably the same issues as the Cisco/IRE software).

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNA, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+