Well....  depends on where/who you're teaching I guess.

Some people/organizations want/demand certified courses taught by certified
instructors.

There is a market for non-certified courses which of course don't need a
CCSI.

However, if you're teaching a course that has been represented as a Cisco
certified course with Cisco certified materials and you're not a CCSI - then
someone has the right to be "concerned".  Also, Cisco won't be too impressed
either.

If however, you're teaching how to configure a Cisco router and all the
materials were authored by yourself or another third party - then that's ok
as long as the students know that the course is in no way connected to Cisco
(except of course that you're using Cisco routers).

On one contract I taught both certified and non-certified Banyan courses.
The certified courses went to those who needed to re-certify (Banyan
required certified courses to certify or re-cert) and the non-certified went
to those who needed basic knowledge and weren't concerned with
certification.

Without knowing your exact situation, I can't say if a CCSI is needed.

Kevin Wigle