Put it another way:  If someone says they are a CCIE, do you assume they're
CCIE R/S?  Same goes with CCNP, you'd just assume R/S unless they specify
otherwise.  So with that sort of logic, I'd say that it's the more common
cert and is more applicable, vs. WAN is  more "specialized."

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNA, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+