At 12:10 PM 12/3/00, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>When we are talking about futures, the reality is that we truly don't
>know. To say that carrier-scale backbones will be ATM (probably not), POS,
>IP over raw DWDM, MPLS over raw DWDM, etc., is not yet a given.

Thanks for turning this into a logical, well-written discussion instead of
a harangue, Howard.

Probably not ATM for carrier-scale backbones? Is it because MPLS is looking
like a better model? I realize I'm asking you to look into your crystal
ball, and that's always hard, but I'm interested in the technical reasons
off the cuff. (I know it could require a whole book to give a true answer!
&;-)

Priscilla