More generally, hub and spoke topology just refers to a configuration with
a central site (which could be a single router, a collection of networks,
or a whole campus) which has remote sites connected to it, but where the
remote sites do not connect to each other directly.  So if you draw a
diagram of the network, you have the central site as the hub of a wheel
with the remote sites connected to the central site by the spokes of the
wheel.
Hub and spoke doesn't necessarily mean the remote sites can't ping each
other, although that is what happens with some configurations.  It just
means that any communication between the remote sites goes via the central
site.
Also often known as a star topology.

The glossary of 'Top-Down Network Design' gives this definition:
"hub-and-spoke topology - a topology that consists of one central network
and a set of remote networks each with one connection to the central
network and no direct connections to each other.  Traffic between remote
networks goes through the hub network."

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 05/12/2000

SAM Meng Wai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 04/12/2000 08:49:44
pm

Please respond to SAM Meng Wai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]