Hi,

>From the soap box of Teunis.

Never use 100BaseT ie copper cables between buildings even if they are only 50metres
apart.

WHY??

When you connect two buildings using copper you have the chance of tying them together
electrically.  This can create a very dangerous situation.  It is indeed possible to
have 50Kvolts sitting on a cable as the the electrical earths between the two
buildings can be different.  Beleive me theere is nothing more frightening than
watching communications equipment disappear of a wall during a thunderstorm purely
because two building were tied together.

I think you'll find that in Australia for example the standards committees on building
codes now prohibit tying two buildings together with copper.

Companies such as Critec in Tasmania, Australia have made a nice little living on ways
to stop the linking of buildings.

Back in the good old days of pure serial comms I worked in a University and spent a
considerable amount of time trying to track down a suspected intruder that usually
operated out of hours in offices covered by security with terminals turned off.  It
turned out to be earth loops.  The cause running copper between parts of a building
that had different electrical earths.

My word is always run fibre when connecting two buildings.

I expect an argument that telcos do it and connection of modems is not a problem.
Modemd generally use either transformers and/or optocoupling to disconnect themselves
electrically from the line.

Teunis,
Tasmania, Australia

www.tasmail.com