On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jaeheon Yoo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while I'm reading Halabi's book, I'm getting curious.
>
> Please let me know what cisco router platforms are usually deployed
> for BGP full routes? In addition to that, what are platforms for
> partial routes and for default routes only?

These days most companies will use a router that can do 128MB minimum.
Although 64MB can still cut it with a limited number of peers.  CPU is
also important.

3640's are very popular, and they work well.  Alot of people use the
migration to 3660 which has a very fast processor and can take their
exisiting 3640 modules.  3620 could also be used, but it has the 64MB
limitation.  CPU works however.

Larger ISP's prefer the 7206vxr, which has an excellent price point, fast
processors, and is very service provider centric.

7000's and 7500's are also used where high density is a concern.  Usually
however, high density is not a function of the borders of most
providers.......they will deploy 7200's for the border and the larger
chassis like 7000/7500 can be populated with more dense blades.

The 7000 is still a very good value.  We slam them with serial ports and
use them to serve t1 customers (32 t1's per box).  An 8 port serial blade
is only $500 or so for a 7000. Compare that to a 4 port blade on a 3600
that would run $2000 easy.  7000's can have the RP/(S)SP swapped out with
a RSP7000 which essentially turns the 7000 into a 7500 with RSP1.  So long
as the 7000 can do 64MB (RSP7000 and RP64 can do 64MB) then it can do BGP
today and keep up.

2600's fell behind for a while.  The cpu couldn't cut it, but it was fine
on memory.  Now that cisco has the 265x and above out, they are contenders
in the BGP game once again.

So basically if you have 64MB and a decent cpu, it is a common router for
BGP.  You can do BGP on a 2501.........don't get me wrong........I am
talking about a full table however.

2650
3620/40
7206

those are probably the most popular for customers doing bgp.  7000/7500
and some other more legacy hardware may be found however.

brian