1. First, the ping to this device is NOT a broadcast but a unicast packet. Second, the
Ethernet CSMA/CD algorithm will take care of retransmission due to collisions. IP/ICMP
layer is does not retransmit, but (as you know) a standard "ping" does wait for an
answer and tells you if it doesn't get a reply.  So yes, the router's ethernet
interface
will retransmit a frame if it sees a collision, just like any other ethernet device.

2. If the problem is ethernet, it could be a flaky ethernet card or cable, but there
are
a lot of possibilities, including software doing too many broadcasts, bad port on a
hub/switch, etc. If possible, swap the cable from the evil machine (where it plugs into
the NIC) with a known-good machine on the same subnet that is being monitored by
Whatsup
and see if the problem moves.

Here's a Cisco URL for troubleshooting ethernet.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/tr1904.htm