Absolutely.  It just makes a difference what order Windows uses to resolve.
Ping, telnet, etc will try to resolve a DNS as a DNS name.  If it fails at
this, it will use WINS/LMHosts.  So, yes you can 'telnet netbiosname'

If you just type in 'ping bob', Windows will tack on 'yourdomain.com' and
try to resolve it using DNS.  So, you are likely just resolving this with
DNS.  However, if your DNS host name and your NetBIOS name are different,
then you will use WINS to resolve this.

So, using ping will not verfiy that WINS is working, unless you use a
NetBIOS name that is not also a DNS name.  If the NetBIOS name and the DNS
host name are the same, your computer could resolve that name with DNS.  So,
you will not verify that WINS is working by pinging something where the
NetBIOS name is the same as the DNS host name.

Ben

"Joseph Ezerski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I beg to disagree with you.  I can certainly telnet, ftp and ping to any
> NETBios name on my network.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]