As part of some research I have been doing to address some issues I have
with a particular customer security design, I've been spending a bit of time
at www.trusecure.com , and the related interests Information Security
Magazine and the ICSA test labs.

What I have read there leads me to believe that it is damn near impossible
to enforce any kind of real complex security policy on a purely hardware
based firewall.

Too many bad things are starting to happen using ports 20, 21, 25, 53, and
80 - all ports that in general must be left open for legitimate company web
use. For good reasons and evil, app developers are now writing their apps to
use these ports, rather than leave them for their intended purposes.

There are a couple of companies that offer server based software that
inspect and block forbidden sites and content. I believe one of the
companies offering such a product is WebSecure. Sorry, I can't find my
literature that I picked up at Networkers.

But the point is that in order to stop any number of services that violate
policy, it is no longer enough to try to block a couple of ports.

Chuck