On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Jennifer Mellone wrote:

> BGP Local Pref is used to control outbound traffic.  MED/Metric is used to
> control inbound traffic.  Why is it that you do an inbound route map (vs
> outbound) when setting local pref and an outbound route map (vs. inbound)
> when setting MED?  It seems opposite.

ok.......here we go:

to get OUT of a router you follow one of the routes in the routing table.
These routes come IN to the router from say a peer or upstream.  So you
need to modify them as they come IN so that they are changed before they
are added to the routing/bgp table.  Inbound routes effect outbound
traffic.

for traffic to get IN to your router, its going to follow one of the
routes that came OUT of your router.  Your router announces its routes to
its BGP peers. On their way out you can modify these routes, such as
setting med etc.  Outbound routes effect inbound traffic.

For local pref:

1. route comes from our peer into your router
2. your router can set the local pref of this route coming into your
router
3. your router adds this route to its bgp/routing tables

now your router will use this route for outbound traffic.

For MED:

1. a route is in your router
2. you announce this route to a BGP peer
3. on its way out to the peer, you can modify the metric (MED)
4. The route is added to the peers routing/bgp tables
5. the peer may use this route to get traffic into you

Brian