"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> Amen. One of the realities of publishing is that even if it were
> possible to have enough reviews to catch every error, the book would
> be far more expensive and would come out too late to be useful. Even
> if the book were "precise," how does the author deal with situations
> where the Cisco material from which it is drawn is obsolete or wrong?
> For that matter, errors do find their way into RFCs, and are
> corrected in future editions.
>
> >Wouldn't it be better to
> >write - "Dear Author... I don't know if you know this
> >but I think page 43 has a mistake. Could you comment
> >on this?" I wrote all 13 chapters of CID, and yet I
> >would never claim that it was entirely my product.

I can't resist passing along Terry Slattery's response on the topic of
errors in books, submitted to the comp.dcom.sys.cisco newsgroup back on
7/5/99:
--------------------
It is interesting that you quote Knuth's book.  It was the model that Bill
Burton and I used for our Quality Challenge in _Advanced IP Routing in Cisco
Networks_.  We pay $1 per error and send a certificate which lists all the
bugs you find (some folks have found several).

It's really hard to make a 500 page book perfect. We're up to 160 bugs on our
web site:  http://www.ccci.com/books and I still have about a dozen more to
process.  We're a bit behind in sending out the certificates and award, but
they will all be sent. [I'm spending a *lot* of time doing software for the
MentorLabs vLab(sm) Cisco remote lab system.]  Fortunately, most of our bugs
were typographical.

It is gratifying that people will send bug reports.  We used a web page that
lists them so we don't get repeated submissions of the same bug.  The only
problem is when the we didn't clearly understand the bug and provide the
correct fix the first time. Thanks to the really smart readers, we quickly
identified the real fix.

We've fixed all 160 bugs in the latest submission to McGrawHill and I think
they will all be fixed in the 4th printing.

        -tcs

ps.  Knuth's reward was $2.56 (hint: it isn't a coincidental figure).  I know
someone who received a check from Knuth and framed it. He probably sent out a
number of checks that were never cashed.  So even Knuth didn't make it with
no bugs.

--
Terry Slattery    CCIE# 1026
Chesapeake Computer Consultants, Inc.