We have a client that requires a DDR Analog modem solution, it must be
router based but doesn't want to pay a premium.  I've done a little research
and it seems that a serial port can support an analog modem (using an
appropriate cable).  I've eyeballed the 805 as the cheapest solution (ie not
necessarily the best).

Question is: can a modem be connected to just any serial port and can I then
use dialing profiles, etc?  Or must I get a proper analog modem pool - kinda
wasteful, I only need one modem?

Key is that it must be router based.  I cannot just hang it off the nearest
server - something about some bureaucratical policy.

--
Kevin L. Kultgen