So I guess you have be foundering these days?

I don't know Howard, the entire thing seems fishy to me.

Paul
----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 11:32 PM
Subject: Truth being stranger than fiction....

Apparently, there are circumstances under which ciscos are certified,
rather than doing the certification.

Some discussions have questioned whether or not certain things are
kosher or not, but there is a definitive reference:

     http://www.kosherquest.org/bookhtml/FISH.htm

in which Rabbi Eliezer Eidlitz answers your questions about the
dietary laws, including what fish are kosher.  There is an
cross-reference:

     "Cisco See: Trouts"

To make this even more bizarre, look in the Cisco trademark section
of the IOS 9.1 documentation set.  You will find that Cisco
trademarked the term "trouter," which was marketingspeak for a
_t_erminal server _router_.  It is my understanding, however, that
trouters did not scale well and industry focus groups generally
considered the idea sounded fishy.

Scalability, according to the kosherquest site, is quite complex:

"Fish which have fins and scales are kosher. Fish which only have
fins are not kosher. Of the four types of scales, clenoid, cycloid,
ganoid and placoid, only clenoid  and cycloid scales are valid
according to the Torah. Gandoid is the type found on  sturgeon and
placoid is found on shark.There is no prohibition against eating fish
blood, other than the fact that people may think that a person is
eating prohibited   blood, and ritual slaughter is not required.

"The scales must be true scales that can be removed without damaging
the skin of the fish. As it says in the Torah - "These you may eat of
the fishes, all that have fins and scalesS" (Vayikrah XI:9-12) Bony
tubercles and plate or thorn-like scales  that can be removed only
byremoving part of the skin  are not considered scales      in this
context. Some fish  that have such scales, such as eels, lumpfish,
shark,sturgeon, and swordfish, are not kosher."

This further complicates the situation. If shark is scalable but
nonkosher, that suggests that Cisco lawyers also are not kosher.

Further, look at the back of many Cisco blades -- I'm thinking of a
4000 router NPM.  What are those protrusions called? Cooling fins, eh?

Coincidence?  You decide. Perhaps the 4000 routers were discontinued
because they had fins but were not sufficiently scalable.