You aren't missing anything. You probably haven't gotten an answer because
there is no good answer. &;-)

You can get a good answer for the well-known ports between 1 and 1023 which
are assigned by IANA. Ports between 1024 through 49151 are registered to
IANA, but the list has deteriorated over the years and many new ports
aren't on it. People learn what to add to this list, and what to ignore on
this list, only by experience and research.

My husband's company makes Macintosh firewall software and they maintain a
list for Macintoshes here:

http://www2.opendoor.com/doorstop/ports.html

Some of the ports apply to PCs also. Could you ask your firewall
manufacturer for a better list for PCs?

Priscilla