New problem, same equipment.  I have set the conf-reg to 0x2102 by typing:

config-reg 0x2102
end

write memory

reload

then the show ver is below, with the conf-reg shown to be correct.  Now, the
router goes to a stage every 5 minutes after being idle, to this message
which is below the sho ver here.

R2501(boot)#show ver
IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE
SOFTWAR
E (fc1)
Compiled Tue 24-Oct-95 15:46 by mkamson
Image text-base: 0x01020000, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE

R2501 uptime is 1 minute
System restarted by power-on
Running default software

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 1020K/1024K bytes of memory.
Processor board serial number 03270240 with hardware revision 00000000
X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
2 Serial network interfaces.

Configuration register is 0x2102

R2501(boot)#show conf
Using 418 out of 32762 bytes
!
version 10.2
service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname R2501
!
enable last-resort succeed
enable secret 5 4m2kno
enable password nonoubeeswax
!
!
interface Ethernet0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
interface Serial1
no ip address
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
transport input all
line vty 0 4
login
!
end

R2501(boot)#

R2501 con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

I remember some connections doing this, but I want to make sure this router
is ok or I am going to send it back.

TIA!

Jim Croyle