Very well said Priscilla, more or less what I was trying to say from memory.
Also included in this is that when a collision is detected a jam is sent on
the wire and the back off mechanism comes into play, should another
collision occur, then another back off of a longer period takes place, and
so on.  After 4 (If I remember correctly) back offs the packet is dropped
and left to a higher layer protocol to retransmit.  You are correct that a
late collision indicates a collision that is past the preamble and should
never happen in a properly designed and specified Ethernet segment, however
when they do occur it is most likely a cable that is beyond length in spec.

        While we are on the topic I am often asked what a runt is, simply
put it is the fragments that result in collisions on an Ethernet segment, a
somewhat normal condition.  With Store and Forward switching runts will be
eliminated from the wire while with cut-through switching they can be
propagated.  This being said, even though Cut-Through can be faster on a
lightly loaded network store and forward can provide for higher throughput
on a more saturated network due to this fact.

        Also I am asked what giants are.  They are the result of an Ethernet
frame being larger than the IEEE limit of 1524 (Or 1518 depending on who
your talking to) Bytes.  This can be from a few things, the most important
being VLAN tagging.  Other sources are mis-configured stations on the wire
or NIC's that are spewing garbage on the wire.

        For anyone really interested in a GREAT sight covering these items
the original writer of the CNX certification has an excellent web site with
all these goodies on it.  It is www.optimized.com go there and check out the
Technical Compendium link.

Merry Christmas to all,
                        Shawn