You need to look into the following things in this particular scenario:

1.      The output queue drops on the serial interface and if they increase
during the file transfer.

2.      The queueing type configured on the interface such as WFQ, FIFO, etc.

3.      The "buffers" situation in terms of their depletion.

4.      The mix of applications that are being transported over the WAN link.

5.      A Sniffer WAN trace may also prove helpful in this situation.

6.      Observe the "5-minute traffic rate" on the serial interface during a
large file transfer and see if it peaks to 56 Kbps.

7.      Is something driving the interface into "process-switched mode" ?

8.      You can prioritize the application that is being impacted the most by
using any of the queueing mechanisms. However, this decision may have some
adverse effects if not properly researched.

Here I am assuming that the frame PVC has been provisioned correctly and
that it is delivering as per the rated CIR/EIR. This was just to trigger
your thought-process as you have not provided enough information to be able
to correctly pin-point the cause.

Aziz S. Islam