an aspect i did not notice to be covered in the response found below is the
following:

it appears to me that multicast technology incorporates control of traffic
distribution into the addressing scheme: all
multicast-rfc-compliant-devices will forward traffic to multiple hosts if
the destination address warrants it.

it also appears to me that directed broadcast is dependent upon the
configuration of each device in the potential path of a given wayward ip
packet: if a device is configured to forward directed broadcast, the packet
ambles on. if not, it expires in the fashion of most packets, within the
confines of the circuitry of the device that last received the packet.

so, with a directed broadcast, your device is indiscriminately forwarding
multiple-destination traffic on a per-interface-basis, while a multicast
implementation allows for some means of control as might be implemented
from the source end.

i'd humbly ask that members of the group advise everyone if it is the case
that, as usual, i'm way off base.

Jeff Kell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 12/28/2000 01:23:00 AM

Please respond to Jeff Kell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]