Using the traditional, static means, your router receives a gateway of last resort
that is fixed to a particular next hop router (or multiple in the event that you
configure multiple)  However, if the router has a number of outbound connections, you
may not be maximizing your resiliency in this way.  If you wanted a more dynamic GoLR
selection means, you could install a default network (or multiple) that point to
remote networks that the router generally has reachability to.  In this case, they
router will extract a GoLR next hop from the routing table which is generally
dynamically created.

Consider the following basic example.

R1 ---path1---1.1.1.1/30> R2 10.0.0.0/8
     ---path2----1.1.2.1/30> ^

In the example, R1 has two distinct paths to R2 beyond which the network 10.0.0.0/8
exists (ok, bad diagram i know :)  One could configure an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
1.1.1.1 and in this way post a GoLR in the routing table statically.  Or, one could
post an ip default-network 10.0.0.0 in which case the router would choose one of
1.1.1.1 or 1.1.2.1 as the GoLR based on which of the two next hops were currently
available.  In this way, the router has protected itself and its GoLR selection
process from a single point of failure.

Hope that makes some sense. (I lost myself up near traditional :)

Pete