This has been an interesting afternoon. For my lunch hour I thought I would
review my miserable failure of an attempt to negotiate the Mentor Tech Vlab
3040 ( IS-IS routing ) I kinda blew it last night. So I thought I would try
things on my own routers and see what happens

So I open up my pod, and start configuring. Router 3 and router 2 get to
talking integrated IS-IS ( IP over IS-IS )

But router 1 does not want to cooperate. I enter the command router isis
WORD The command is accepted. But I am not in a router subconfiguration
mode. Swell. Try again. Command accepted. But no router subconfiguration
mode.

Being raised in a Microsoft environment, I reload the router and try again.
No dice. I erase the startup config, reload, and try again. No dice. Every
time, the command is accepted but no router subconfiguration menu.

At this point I believe I know:

1) it is not the configuration command entry.
2) it is not a minor corruption of the running IOS itself.
3) It should not be the IOS version, because I am running the same IOS
version on each of my three routers.

So next I start to get a bit desperate. I consider that maybe the flash
image itself is corrupt. I try to re-image using router software loader, and
of course nothing but problems. After all the nice things I've said about
RSL on this forum and others, it acts up. Yes I have a console cable plugged
into the right routers, and yes, I have an ethernet crossover cable plugged
between my PC and the router ethernet port. All right. Tweak and moan and do
TFTP rather than RSL. New image on router and no change. The command is
accepted, but no router subconfiguration menu.

All right. Maybe I'm nuts. On the other hand, when I upgraded the flash on
these guys a few months ago this particular router was the only one where I
did not also upgrade the boot prom. Something come back to bite me?

So I back down to another version of IOS, reload the router, and now things
seem to behave the way I would expect.

In terms of troubleshooting methodology, anyone care to use this example as
a means of instruction? Any steps you think I overlooked?

Chuck