OK.  I can accept that Microsoft (or Apple for that matter) would do
something like this and then expect the world to revolve around
them.  However, I'm confused as to the benefit.  Why would anyone want a
non-assigned default IP address to appear on their network?  Do they really
think that people will implement a non-RFC1918 compliant address space just
to save configuration time?  (Actually, I can think of several cases where
people might just go for this.)
How do Internet backbone routers (BGP ASs) deal with this traffic?
Let's say that I want to take the easy way out and I connect a small
network to the Internet via an ISP.  I'm not running NAT, but I'm running
the 169.254 addresses inside my network. If I've got a static route to an
ISP public address, and we're not exchanging routing information, I can't
see how this traffic would ever get back to my network.  If I'm exchanging
routes with an ISP (via BGP or some other interior protocol), where and how
do the 169.254 routes get filtered?  There has to be some mechanism, or
there would be thousands of summary routes back to 169.254 showing up on
the Internet table.
Any help in understanding this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig