Hi, Fowler.

I believe when you said "unplugged the Ethernet connection between the
two", what you really did seems to me that you unplugged Router A from
a hub or switch.
That means the Ethernet interface of Router A is DOWN in state, while
the counterpart of Router B is still UP and BDR in the beginning.
Because Router B is still connected to the hub, what Router B is
missing is just a  neighbor(DR: Router A), not its "UP" interface
state. If Router B is disconnected from the hub, the election will be
triggered right after disconnection, you don't have to wait 40
seconds.But in that election no DR or BDR will elected, because
there's no up interface out there including itself..

Hope it helps,

Regards

Jaeheon