Let me make some comments fundamentally for background. It's
increasingly considered useful to minimize the amount of
configuration that an end station needs to do before becoming active.
Servers and routers are special cases.

DHCP is stateful:  the DHCP server remembers what addresses have been assigned.

Apple and Microsoft alternatives are dynamic stateless alternatives.
They select a tentative name, and then broadcast sequentially
selected addresses until they find one with no conflict.  BTW, this
is similar to the way NetBEUI checks for name uniqueness.

CLNS and IPv6 alternatives listen for a high-order prefix defining
alink-local or  site-local part, and prefix these part(s) in front of
MAC addresses.  Still mostly stateless, but more cooperative.