That depends on whether you want to know the material or just how to
configure it for certain scenarios...you decide.

I will tell you this, by reading the whole book (minus the first few
chapters of fluff) you will gain a much deeper understanding of the material
at hand.  You will find that the knowledge of the authors will tie in
different technologies so you can see a bigger picture.

Learning abstract concepts also makes the material less enjoyable to read,
harder to remember and more difficult to learn I suspect.

Spending 5-6 hours reading a book from cover to cover is time well spent.