Hi All

A while back I posted a question here and in the dcom.cisco group about IRRs
(Internet Routing Registry). I did not get a heck of lot of feedback, but
what did come back was, "you don't need it".

Since then I have found quite a few more web sites on the subject both in
theory and in practice. I have setup eBGP and iBGP. Spent time cussing
providers for having filters in place when they said they did not, etc, etc.

Well, the big lesson learned... don't believe everything you read or hear.
One of the providers I had to peer with is Level3, which requires that you
register with their IRR or have none of your routes accepted.

I had asked the sales manager if I needed to use IRR, asked the implantation
manager too, both said "no IRR required". Finally got to trouble shooting
the failure to see my routes on the looking glass sites, and got to talk to
a real live BGP engineer (someone that does BGP everyday for a living), and
found out that indeed some providers require IRR objects before they will
accept a route. Amazing how much you can learn from someone that really does
it day in and day out!

Anyway, my advise to any deploying BGP in the real world, talk to the BGP
engineers from both providers both you are trying to peer with. Do not let
the red tape get in your way, demand to speak to them, not the help desk,
not the manager, not the FAQ, not the "instructions", but talk to the
engineers that you will be working with. Get it from the source and no where
else, otherwise you are risking your network connectivity.

Well I hope my experience helps someone else out.
--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE+I