Hi group,
     Got OSPF set up on two routers, sharing the same
network, and I'm looking at the Overall elaection
process from start-up with a Sniffer.

According to the CCIE Lab Study Guide
(Hutnik/Saterlee)
P.381 the third hello packet shows Router B as elected
DR ?

My investigation agrees with the 1st 2 packets i.e
they cannot know anything yet (2-way incomplete),
however, the 3rd packet shows neighbor 1 and the
fourth packet from the other router shows neighbor 2,
which I think is correct. i.e the 2-way state is
complete.

Now what is interesting is that the DD packets are
exchanged, Link State Updates and Link State
Acknowledgements until the databases are synchronised.
Then AND only THEN does the Hello Packet contain the
DR and BDR data fields.

In my analysis this occurs at packet 67.

Aaaaaah !!! just thinking.
My synchronisation must have completed before the next
hello update i.e < 10 secs which would make sense.

Anyway I still can't see him getting away with that at
packet 3.

Any comments ?

Regards,

Phil.