I am a little confused by the entries below.
Keep in mind that your catalyst 1900 and 3500
switches are DHCP clients right out of the box.
All you have to do is plug them in and get
connectivity (somehow) to a DHCP server and it
will go through DHCP discovery and lease an
address.  Somehow however, that's not exactly
what I believe you were really trying to
reference.

If what you really meant to say was that clients
connected on individual ports are not able to
obtain a lease, that is a different matter.  In
order for a DHCP client to operate effectively in
a switched internetwork, you need to have the
following tasks completed:

1.  A properly configured client.  This means
that all NIC drivers are properly installed and
all Windows settings for Gateway, IPaddr, Mask,
WINS, etc. have been cleared and removed from the
network settings.

2.  A properly configured switch and switch port.
I count these as separate animals.  For example,
a properly configured switch has trunking set up
to the distribution switch and Fast EtherChannel
appropriately configured on the trunk links(if
applicable).  All devices that use that switch
will depend upon the trunk link being properly
configured and optimized. Speed and duplex should
definitely be hard coded to ensure proper
operation (FD and 100MBPS/1000MBPS).  Any VLANs
that should be excluded from the trunk, should be
removed. Finally, all administrative data should
be set for the switch, such as hostname,
IPaddr/mask(hard code this; do not use DHCP),
Default Gateway on the management VLAN, basic
security measures and uplinkfast (if
appropriate).

3.  A properly configured access port on the
above switch will also have speed and duplex hard
coded (if appropriate).  It is appropriate if the
host does not move, or has a name of "server".
If it is a port used by road warriors, then auto
speed and duplex may be a necessity and YMMV.  An
absolute necessity is to turn off trunking, turn
off bundling/port channeling (FEC and GEC), and
set spanning-tree portfast to on.  For CAT5ks
running 6.1 code and CAT6ks, this can be done
using the "set port host" command.  For your
lower end IOS based switches, you will need to
apply/remove each of the individual commands.
This should ensure smooth operation of access
ports and the previous paragraph should ensure
smooth connectivity back to the distribution
switch.  All of these configuration tasks are
dealing with *layer 2* connectivity issues.

4.  Assuming your hosts are on separate VLANs,
ensure that the access port is assigned to the
proper VLAN.  Just remember, VLANs are a layer 2
thing.  Subnets are a layer 3 thing.  Make the
mental glue for both; VLAN=Subnet=Broadcast
domain.  Don't put the right host in the wrong
VLAN.

5.  At your distribution layer, you will need to
configure routing and your router.  Now you are
reaching up to layer 3.  You will need to
configure IP addresses on each VLAN interface on
an RSM, or subinterfaces on an external router.
Both can be used, but an internal RSM tends to be
more convenient (and compact).  When you
configure each of the VLAN interfaces, you will
need to specify an IP helper address command.
This should be done on each VLAN interface.  If
you are using multiple DHCP servers, you may wish
to split up your scopes to achieve some form of
load balancing (unless you are suing CNR)
Additionally, you can use a helper address that
forwards to a network address or a host address.
I would exercise caution in using a network
address, because I remember a consulting issue
where this resulted in a routing loop. In
addition, do not forget the use of the "ip
forward-protocol" command to limit which of the
seven protocols get forwarded to the helper
address.  In a MS environment, this is an
absolute necessity.

6.  Ensure you have a path to your DHCP server
from all points in the network. This implies that
routing is up and running and properly configured
and fully converged. Remember, the DHCP server
will give you the "correct" IPaddr, GW, mask, and
other info based upon the GIaddr.  The GIaddr is
that Gateway Interface address that exists on
each of those VLAN IP addresses on your
router/RSM.  Avoid the use of secondary addresses
on VLAN interfaces.

7.  Configure your DHCP server properly to add
scopes for each of the VLANs you have created.  I
will leave this exercise up to you on how to
properly configure the DHCP server of your choice.

8.  Implement and troubleshoot your config.  What
works and why?  What doesn't work and why; what
is different from the devices that do work?
Always look to spot configuration errors early
on.  Use utilities such as ping and trace to
verify layer 3/4 connectivity.  If all else
fails, check cabling.  To quote a good
friend, "the root of all evil in networking is
cabling."

Good luck!

HTH,

Paul Werner

> Hi all,
> I have a question concerning Catalyst
switches.  I have two 3500's and
> one
> 1900 and when I try to release and renew an IP
address on the 1900 it is
> fine, but when I try on the 3500 it appears to
drop the request.  Is
> there
> an IP-HELPER address on the switch such as
there is on a router?