Hello colleagues,

I have come across a problem on my LAN which I can't seem to figure out:
I need more host addresses on my LAN, so I changed the subnet mask on my
Ethernet IP address to a 22-bit subnet mask (was 10.226.192.254/24, is now
10.226.192.254/22). The problem I am having now is that I cannot ping the
Ethernet interface anymore (even from the same router).
Do I have to change the subnet mask for the default gateway on the hosts
attached to the LAN first before I can ping the interface ? It seems to me
that I should be able to ping my Ethernet interface, regardless of what IP
address is configured, as long as the status is up/up.
Thanks for your input in advance.

Regards,

Georg Pauwen