Hi group,

I find following statement on Cisco web site (univercd):

Use the silent mode when you are connecting to a "silent partner" (a
device that is not generating BPDUs or other traffic). An example of a
silent partner is a traffic generator that is not transmitting packets.
Use this keyword with the auto or desirable mode. If you do not specify
silent or non-silent, silent is assumed.

I have a Cisco 5000 and a Cisco 6500. Both have tons of FEC ports with
default setting (silent) while they are connected to switches
(apparently, non-silent partner). There wasn't any problem for years.
Could any one tell me how non-silent mode could benefit me? How my
current setting could potentially compromise my network?

Thanks