As tempted as I am to state that  any area in proximity to me is a "stud"
area...

The NSSA is stub area that is permitted to import external routes into an
OSPF domain. It is defined in RFC 1583, from which the following is
excerpted:

---------
... the current definition of the OSPF protocol [1] imposes topological
limitations which restrict simple cloud topologies from becoming OSPF stub
areas. In particular, it is illegal for a stub area to import routes
external to OSPF;

NSSAs are defined in much the same manner as existing stub areas. To support
NSSAs, a new option bit (the "N" bit) and a new type of LSA (type-7) area
defined. The "N" bit ensures that routers belonging to an NSSA agree on its
configuration. Similar to the stub area's use of the "E" bit, both NSSA
neighbors must agree on the setting of the "N" bit or the OSPF neighbor
adjacency will not form.
-------

not that I even want to think about reading another RFC tonight. But there
is a lot of discussion in 1583 about OSPF behaviour that appears, from my
quick glance, to actually be a bit more comprehensible than was 2328 ( OSPF
ver 2 )

HTH

Chuck