You will get many many different opinions on this.  Personally, I think the
first and second year companion guides from cisco press are very good.  They
are the books the academy uses and what I used to pass.  They start with the
perspective that you know nothing. They get deep, so you have to think hard
and really try and understand and read the same sentence over and over, but
they are good.  Some of the study guides for ccna start out in an advanced
state, so watch out or you will get discouraged before you get started.

Good Luck!
Jennifer Cribbs