On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:55:06AM -0800, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> Macintoshes send source quench when you repeatedly ping them. I've never
> seen any router send it. I think routers phased out source quench many
> years ago.

Just to provide another viewpoint, I occasionally notice routers sending
source quench messages.  This is known behavior for some 3com Office Connect
routers, and the IP Routing FAQ on Cisco's web site states that prior to IOS
version 11.3/12.0 a Cisco router will generate a source quench message if
(and only if) it does not have enough buffer space to queue the packet.
More recent IOS versions don't bother to do this.