I'm curious what other's study methods are.  I'll give an example of how
mine usually go:

I get in mind that I want to pursue something (usually due to a work
requirement), and I research what the objectives are, find out what books
are recommended, order the books, and they end up being mouse pads for my
external mouse when I'm using my laptop on my sofa watching TV.

Ugh.  Well, it comes and goes like that, you know?  Some evenings I get home
late and/or wiped from work, and there just isn't any way I'm going to
study, I just need to skim Slashdot and zone on TV.

Other nights, I come home, feel pretty good, think, I'll just skim Slashdot,
then get right to studying.  Next thing I know, I'm checking my personal
email, reading and posting a ton on groupstudy.cisco (which isn't bad, but
isn't focused study), reading k5, reading the daily news I get emailed (USA
Today & my local newspaper's highlights w/links), blah, blah, it's midnight
and I haven't studied.  $*$#!

Or, like last night, I got a link about BGP sample labs, and fired up the
ol' routers and started plugging away.  I probably should have read more of
Halabi's BGP book, but, oh well, at least it *was* productive hands-on
experience with iBGP & eBGP!

Then, sometimes, after a night like last night, I just get into a total
study mood.  Not that "I wanna study when I come home" and then flake out
mood, but when I actually come home and study 3-4 nights in a roll (provided
a don't have a killer work day and/or long commute to some Bay Area
customers).  Also what helps is when I can BART into SF and spend 45 minutes
in and 45 minutes out studying, and then I'm jazzed thinking about what I've
read for my hour drive home from the Dublin BART and I just start reading
right away when I get home.

Anyway, what I need is a good shortcut method to get right to the jazzed
mood and really cram down some of these books and labs.  Sometimes, what I
think I need is a good study group.  In fact, if I had a good study group, I
know I'd be more focused and I'd keep my interest more (not that it doesn't
keep my interest, but I lose that motivation).

Thoughts?  Comments?  Oh, and I also have two kids, Noah 2.5 & Rebekah .5,
so that doesn't make it easier either.  What works best with them is if I
play for an hour or so when I get home and then get to studying, but usually
I start off checking work email & doing work paperwork, and they get the
"Need Daddy" Crazies, and the whole night goes downhill.

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+